If you see a few extra foreigners in and around town over the next two weeks, well it's because the world has once again come to coastal Delaware – literally! Every year since 2004, the Lower Sussex Little League in Roxana has hosted the Senior League World Series softball tournament, one of just eight world series events organized by Little League International. And two years ago, officials added the Big League World Series to the mix, so now one-quarter of all Little League world events are held at the Delaware beaches, adding millions to the local economy during it's 10-day annual run.
Read all about this huge event for our area, as well as a few other fun and family-friendly happenings this weekend at the Delaware beaches, in this edition of the"Weekender Blog," brought to you by the Oldfather Group of Ocean Atlantic Sotheby's International Realty in Rehoboth Beach.
Check out this week's selections here:
- Softball World Series (Aug. 1-10). These two events, run simultaneously at the Lower Sussex Little League complex in Roxana, feature teams from all throughout the United States, as well as Latin America, Canada, Asia and Europe. It is the final destination for teenage girls who play throughout the summer for a chance to participate in their respective World Series events. This is a site to behold and the final three games of each tournament (six in total) are televised on the ESPN television network. Visitwww.seniorsoftballws.org/ for more information.
- 37th Annual Sandcastle Contest (Aug. 1). Always a good time for the entire family, this year's sandcastle contest in Rehoboth Beach is sure to be yet another fan favorite. So grab your shovel and join in the fun, or just sit back and watch as expert crafters turn beach sand into true works of art. This year's event begins at 9 a.m. on Saturday, with more than 800 participants expected for the competition.. Visit www.beach-fun.com for more information on this fun event for the entire family.
- 5th Annual Dewey Beach Scavenger Hunt (Aug. 1). For something a little different this weekend, join in the fun in Dewey Beach as dozens of residents and visitors alike take to the streets in search of hard-to-find items on the quest for prizes and personal glory. The scavenger hunt is set to run from 2 to 6 p.m. (registration is from 12-2) with prizes awarded beginning at 6. Visit HERE for more information on this fun annual event.
- Celtic Rock Band Concert (Aug. 1). Coastal Delaware has no shortage of concerts and outdoor events during the warm weather months, but this weekend's concert at Cape Henlopen State Park is a little different than most. Featuring the popular "American Rogues," the event begins at 7 p.m. on the park's parade field and promises a unique, multi-instrumental sound that includes traditional and original rock and pop songs, film soundtrack music and Irish-based foot-stompers. For more information, visitwww.destateparks.com/programs/.
- Movie Night on the Beach (Aug. 3). Held every Monday night during the season, these family-friendly movies are fun for everyone. Bring your family, a blanket, and some popcorn to the beach for family movie night! Movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the beach at Dagsworthy Street in Dewey Beach and Garfield Parkway in Bethany Beach. This week's selections are "Annie" (Dewey Beach) and "Big Hero 6" (Bethany Beach).
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!