It's a bit of a quiet time, between all the big events of the summer and the even bigger festivals and gatherings coming up during the fall season. But don't worry – we have you covered here at the Oldfather Group with a handful of fun options on tap for this weekend.
Take in some of country music's biggest names just a few miles up the road in Harrington, or run for a good cause in Lewes. Or you can see what the artisans at the Rehoboth Art League have come up with this year. Or, for a step back in time, discover the Indian River Lifesaving Station and witness first-hand how the surfmen there used to snatch troubled souls from Mother Ocean.
Check out all of these events below in this week's "Weekender Blog" and make your plans to get out there and have some fun while in coastal Delaware.
- Rehoboth Art League Fine Arts and Crafts Outdoor Show (August 15-16). More than 130 artists and artisans from the Mid-Atlantic will be displaying and selling their fine arts and crafts on the Rehoboth Art League's site in Henlopen Acres. A fun summer event for the family, the show includes great food, music, face-painting, artist demonstrations and art exhibitions in the galleries. Visitwww.rehobothartlegue.org for more information.
- Delaware Junction Country Music Festival (August 14-16). The 2015 Delaware Junction Festival will take place in Harrington this weekend, on the grounds of the Delaware State Fair. The show features Jason Aldean, Florida Georgia Line, Toby Keith, plus many more big-name country music entertainers making the trip to Delaware. Visit www.delawarejunctionfestival.com for more information.
- Green Turtle/Lewes 10K/5K (August 16). Benefitting the Cancer Support Community Delaware, registration for this seventh annual race begins at 7:15 a.m. at the Green Turtle Sports Bar in Lewes, with the race beginning one hour later. Even if you don't plan on running in the event, come out and cheer on all the runners and help support a very worthy cause. For more information on the race, contact Barb Kursh at [email protected]/* */
- Breeches Buoy Rescue Drill (August 15). Watch Delaware State Park staff, as well as active duty Coast Guardsmen, reenact the breeches buoy system, used for decades at the Indian River Lifesaving Station and similar stations up and down America's coastline. The system, utilizing an elaborate system of ropes and pulleys, allowed surfmen to rescue shipwreck victims from shore. This is always an entertaining day for the entire family. Visitwww.destateparks.com for more information.
- Movie Night on the Beach (August 17). Held every Monday night during the season, these family-friendly movies are fun for everyone. Bring your family, a blanket, and some popcorn to the beach for family movie night! Movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the beach at Dagsworthy Street in Dewey Beach and Garfield Parkway in Bethany Beach. This week's selections are "Maleficent" (Dewey Beach) and "Frozen" (Bethany Beach).
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!