Weekend Happenings In Coastal Delaware (August 8-9)
Three very unique, and very different, annual festivals highlight this weekend's event calendar in coastal Delaware. Check them out – there's definitely plenty to do this time of year, when you feel like leaving the beach and venturing out into the community for some good ole' family-friendly fun.
The festival season is about to pick up now in full force, as we near the end of the traditional summer season and transition into fall, the busiest time of the year when it comes to annual festivals and local get-togethers. Case in point, the trio of culturally diverse festivals on tap over the next few days.
Read all about them in this week's edition of the "Weekender Blog,"brought to you by the Oldfather Group of Ocean Atlantic Sotheby's International Realty.
- Summer Vibes Fest (August 6-9). Now in its second year, this fun-filled event held in both Rehoboth Beach and Dewey Beach is a multi-day festival that highlights coastal Delaware's beach culture. Events and competitions include skimboarding, skateboarding, stand up paddleboarding, music and art. For more details on this fun summer event, visit www.alleyoopskim.com or call 302-227-7087.
- Festival Hispano (Aug. 9). Held each year at the Millsboro Little League complex, the Hispanic Festival is free and open to anyone who wants to celebrate this unique culture along with the area's burgeoning Latino population. Included in the day's festivities are latin music and dances, a plethora of Latin American foods and delicacies, a special area for children's activities and entertainment and an abundance of local vendors. For more information, visitwww.elcentrocultural.org.
- Eastern Shore AFRAM Festival (August 7-8). Held a short drive inland in Seaford, this annual event celebrates 20 years in 2015 and is the area's largest celebration of African-American culture. Enjoy cultural foods, informational exhibits and vendors offering items such as jewelry, beauty products, African textiles, arts and crafts and plenty more. There is also a huge selection of entertainment in store this year, including 2015's featured band, "Jazzy Blu," as well as the AKOMA drummers and the "Best Kept Soul Band." Visitwww.easternshoreafram.org for more information.
- Sail Aboard the Kalmar Nyckel (August 8-9). Delaware's tall ship returns to coastal Delaware this week, with a wide array of sailing opportunities available for the adventurous seafarer in all of us. Venture back in time to the way life used to be on the high seas, while hauling lines, setting sails and pretending to be a part of the crew on this one-of-a-kind sailing vessel. The Kalmar Nyckel is docked at the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal, so stop by and take a look.
- Movie Night on the Beach (August 10). Held every Monday night during the season, these family-friendly movies are fun for everyone. Bring your family, a blanket, and some popcorn to the beach for family movie night! Movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the beach at Dagsworthy Street in Dewey Beach and Garfield Parkway in Bethany Beach. This week's selections are "Jumanji" (Dewey Beach) and "Cinderella" (Bethany Beach).
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!