Weekend Happenings in Coastal Delaware
The calendar has flipped to June, the kids are almost out of school and the Delaware beaches have come alive over the last few weeks. The recent warm summer-like temperatures are certainly ideal for sitting on the beach and listening to the waves crash onto the shore, but there are also plenty of other things to do in coastal Delaware this weekend, should you feel like venturing about.
While the season's biggest festivals and events are still a few weeks away, there are definitely some fun-filled things to do this weekend at and around the Delaware beaches.
Check out some of our favorites below:
- Boats, Buttons, Beans & Beer Walking Tour (June 6). The town named for poet John Milton certainly has a rich history, and this walking tour (which begins at the Dogfish Head Brewery Steampunk Treehouse at 9:30) will highlight some of what has made Milton what it is today. The four B's (boats, buttons, beans and later beer) have all played vital roles in this history. Explore button sheds, barns and outbuildings, before concluding your day with a tour and tasting at Dogfish Head Brewery. See the historic Delaware State Archives photo below of one of Milton's former button factories, from James Diehl's book "Remembering Sussex County; from Zwaanendael to King Chicken."
- Bethany Beach Seaside Craft Show (June 6). This 11th annual event is scheduled for 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on the boardwalk in Bethany Beach. Dozens of vendors are expected to participate, selling wares including jewelry, leather, paintings, glass, photography and wood. Click HERE for more information.
- Bridgeville Beer and Barrel Festival (June 6). It's a short drive from the beaches, but the Heritage Shores community in Bridgeville will be hosting this fun-filled event that includes local beer and wines, good food, craft vendors, live entertainment and much more. Click HERE for more information or to purchase tickets.
- Rehoboth Restaurant Week (June 7-12). For six days, beginning on Sunday, June 7, enjoy delicious three-course meals at participating restaurants in downtown Rehoboth Beach. Whether you come for a day or stay for a week, you won't want to miss this dining opportunity as Rehoboth Beach continues to gain regional and national notoriety for its inventive chefs and menus. Visit www.downtownrb.com for more information.
- Beebe Beach Bash (June 6). A joint effort between the Rehoboth Beach-Dewey Beach Chamber of Commerce and the Cape May-Lewes Ferry, the 50's inspired Beebe Beach Bash will be headlined by the Fabulous Greaseband and hosted by Dame Edna's Honorary Understudy, Scott Mason. Taking over the entire ferry grounds, including the docked Delaware Ferry, the event will feature gourmet dining, dancing, open bar, casino games, vintage cars, silent auctions, live auctions and more. Click HERE for more information.
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!