Weekend Happenings in Coastal Delaware
This weekend in southern Delaware, it's all about the red, the white and the blue as the area's beach towns celebrate the founding of our nation in grand style. So whether you're sitting on the beach, or on a boat in the ocean, or even taking in an Independence Day festival that's a short distance from the coast, there's something for you and your family to enjoy this Fourth of July weekend.
Read this week's "Weekender Blog" below to see where and when to partake in the festivities planned for this holiday weekend. And be sure to check back again next week as we continue to keep you informed on the summertime goings on in and around the Delaware beaches.
Now here are a few of our favorite events planned for this weekend:
- Independence Day in Bethany Beach (July 4). Beginning at noon with a "Let Freedom Ring" themed parade through the resort town that will feature marching bands and plenty of local entertainment, the Independence Day celebration in Bethany is one you don't want to miss. There will also be family-friendly events throughout the day and a fireworks display at dusk, followed by music from the Vigilantes.
- Fourth of July Festival in Laurel (July 4). Enjoy small town charm in Laurel on Saturday, July 4, at one of the area's largest Independence Day celebrations. Start the day off with a carnival at 10:30 a.m., followed by a cornhole tournament, pie-eating contest, vendors and a spectacular fireworks display in the evening. For more information, visit www.townoflaurel.net.
- Fireworks in Dewey Beach (July 4). Enjoy a professional fireworks display over the Rehoboth Bay starting at approximately 9 p.m. on Saturday July 4. The fireworks will be set off from a barge in the middle of the bay and will be visible from any bar or restaurant along the bayside in Dewey.
- Lewes' Old Fashioned 4th of July (July 4). Continuing a long tradition, the City of Lewes will be holding it's old fashioned July 4 festivities again this year. Including children's games on historic Second Street, the fabulous and always memorable boat parade on the Lewes-Rehoboth Canal and the popular and definitely different Doo-Dah Parade, this is an event you don't want to miss. Visit the Lewes Chamber of Commerce for more information.
- Fireworks in Rehoboth (July 5). On Sunday, July 5, an always spectacular fireworks display will be launched from the beach and visible up and down the boardwalk and shoreline. Fireworks time is approximately 9:15 p.m.
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!