Weekend Happenings in Coastal Delaware
While the summer and fall seasons here in coastal Delaware are filled with plenty of fun-filled and family events, this weekend perhaps epitomizes just how varied these annual happenings can be.
For this first weekend after Independence Day, there are many different yet enjoyable events planned for in and around the Delaware beaches. From a celebration of the historic Nanticoke River in Seaford, to a sandcastle contest at Delaware Seashore State Park and even an event in Dewey Beach that is, well difficult to describe, we have a little bit of everything for you this week in our "Weekender Blog," brought to you by the Oldfather Group of Ocean Atlantic Sotheby's International Realty.
Check out some of this weekend's festivities below:
- Nanticoke Riverfest (July 10-11). Planned for this Friday and Saturday, the Nanticoke Riverfest is a community festival that celebrates the historic Nanticoke River and the revitalized downtown district of Seaford. The event features live entertainment, craft and food vendors, a pageant, children's activities, an art showcase and classic car and motorcycle shows. River-orientated activities include an hour-long inner tube "Float-In," canoe and kayak races, a duck-calling competition, a "Duck Dash" rubber-duck race on the river, a "Mayor's Challenge" competition and cultural performances. Visit www.nanticokeriverfest.com for more information.
- 19th Annual Running of the Bull (July 11). On the Saturday that falls between July 7 and July 13 (when the Festival of San Fermin is held in Pamplona, Spain) people of various states of mind gather at The Starboard in Dewey Beach each year to "Run with the Bull." With some attendees dressed in the traditional Pamplona white clothing and red bandanas - and others dressed in regular beach attire - the bull runners meet at the Starboard in the early morning hours, where they enjoy beverages, loud music and general pre-run festivities. The "Run" officially begins at 2 p.m. Click HERE for more information.
- 35th Annual Sandcastle Contest (July 11). Scheduled for Saturday at Delaware Seashore State Park, this contest is free to enter with great prizes awarded at the end of the day. Registration starts at 9:30 a.m. Each team can have up to five people and the judging will begin at 1 p.m. Admission to this event is free, but park entry fees remain in effect. For more information, call the Indian River Life-Saving Station at Delaware Seashore State Park at 302-227-6991.
- Antique Fire Truck Show (July 11). The antique fire truck show, sponsored by the Georgetown Historical Society, is scheduled for this Saturday at the Marvel Carriage Museum. Many Sussex County communities will send antique trucks for the event, with the oldest motorized vehicles coming from Laurel, Georgetown, Seaford and Greenwood. Click HERE for more information.
- Movie Night on the Beach (July 13). Held every Monday night during the season, these family-friendly movies are fun for everyone. Bring your family, a blanket, and some popcorn to the beach for family movie night! Movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the beach at Dagsworthy Street in Dewey Beach and Garfield Parkway in Bethany Beach. This week's selections are "The Little Rascals" (Dewey Beach) and "Earth to Echo" (Bethany Beach).
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!
Post a Comment