Weekend Happenings in Coastal Delaware
With the state gearing up for the annual Delaware State Fair next week in Harrington, this week's festivals and events are a tad on the light side. But don't worry, there's still plenty of fun things to do here at the Delaware beaches, no matter the date on the calendar.
The highlight this weekend is an annual festival honoring the area's rich maritime heritage, but there are also movies on the beach to enjoy, a walking tour of historic Milton and several other options for residents of, as well as visitors to, the beautiful Delaware beaches.
Check out some of this weekend's festivities below, courtesy of the Oldfather Group of Ocean Atlantic Sotheby's International Realty.
- Fifth Annual Maritime Heritage Festival (July 19). Delaware Seashore State Park will host the Fifth Annual Maritime Heritage Festival from 12 to 4 p.m. this Sunday. Families will experience the rich history of the Delaware coast through crafts, games, prizes, food, music and demonstrations throughout the day. The highlight of the event will be the Breeches Buoy rescue demonstration complete with live cannon fire using a historic Lyle gun. For more information, call the Indian River Life-Saving Station at Delaware Seashore State Park at 302-227-6991.
- Boats, Buttons, Beans & Beer Walking Tour (July 18). The town named for poet John Milton certainly has a rich history, and this walking tour (which begins at the Dogfish Head Brewery Steampunk Treehouse at 9:30) will highlight some of what has made Milton what it is today. The four B's (boats, buttons, beans and later beer) have all played vital roles in this history. Explore button sheds, barns and outbuildings, before concluding your day with a tour and tasting at Dogfish Head Brewery.
- History Happened Here: Cape Water Taxi Cruise (July 20). Join a knowledgeable Lewes Historical Society guide on board the Cape Water Taxi for a cruise along the Lewes Canal. Journey back in time into Lewes's maritime past through the centuries. Learn of the explorers who first put Cape Henlopen on the map, recall the pirates that sailed the same local waters you'll travel upon and come to understand the difficulties in navigating the Cape's often treacherous waters.Visit HERE for more information.
- Eating Rehoboth Walking Food Tour (July 19). Embark on a three-hour culinary adventure through historic downtown Rehoboth Beach, where you will enjoy exclusive food and beverage tastings at five of the resort's best eateries. The tours feature a different set of restaurants and shops each day. For more information or to buy tickets, visit www.eatingrehoboth.com.
- Movie Night on the Beach (July 20). Held every Monday night during the season, these family-friendly movies are fun for everyone. Bring your family, a blanket, and some popcorn to the beach for family movie night! Movies will start at approximately 8:30 p.m. on the beach at Dagsworthy Street in Dewey Beach and Garfield Parkway in Bethany Beach. This week's selections are "Big Hero" (Dewey Beach) and "Sleeping Beauty" (Bethany Beach).
These are just a few of this weekend's fun-filled events here in coastal Delaware. For more ideas on what you can do with your friends and/or family, contact your local chamber of commerce or town hall.
And be on the lookout again next week for more great ideas from the Oldfather Group. Now get out there and enjoy all the things that make living at the Delaware beaches such a wonderful experience!